Hope you are doing well.
Recently, we came across Maharashtra Seamless Ltd. It's one of the largest makers of seamless pipes in India which primarily get used in oil & gas sector.
On the first look, the numbers for the company look interesting with good growth since FY 16.
The valuations also look low and what's interesting is that Promoters have been increasing their stake in the company.
To understand the company better, we have shared notes from the Q3 FY 23 con-call of the company:
Before that, some good news for medium-long term investors
Individual investor participation in shares dropped to 34 months low in Jan'23. Google trends - Multibagger chart also indicating low investor interest
To know why this is good news if your investment horizon is 3-4 years - Click HERE
Maharashtra Seamless - Notes from Q3 FY 23 con-call
- General Points
- We have had another good quarter where margins have been very good and enabled us to maintain absolute EBITDA despite taking a maintenance shutdown in one of our Seamless pipe mills
- This shutdown was targeted for the first quarter of FY24, but in view of our large order book, it was taken in the third quarter of FY23
- We expect production volume in this mill to improve by 10%, and this increase will be immediately apparent in the fourth quarter of FY23
- We are set to meet our EBITDA guidance given at the start of the year as margins have remained firm throughout the year, and our order book remains strong. We also have good visibility of orders for next quarter as well
- In the fourth quarter, we expect good level of production, because we have undertaken refurbishment activities and maintenance activities in three of our mills in the past three quarters
- More than 80% of the EBITDA is generated through the Seamless segment
- On the point of value creation for shareholders, we have completed the bonus issue in December, and in the next Board meeting, we will come out with a dividend policy
- Value added products
- Drill pipe, this is a high value-added product where we benefit more than the regular pipes because of more value addition and more margins
- Premium connections - So, there we are talking of a license agreement with JFE premium connections, and they have audited the mill. And they are very happy with the facilities, and they are doing the final stage for signing the agreement and commencing operations
- Margins visibility
- More or less the margins are consistent, and the steel price has corrected slightly towards the lower side. So, that might give us some additional margin, and if we do value-added products, like we just mentioned, premium connections and drill pipe, so that will add to our overall margins
- I think in export, if we are targeting more exports, then, actually, overall contribution will be higher, because there we can get higher realizations
- Order book
- In Maharashtra Seamless, you have an order book in the Seamless segment of 1660 crores, and in United Seamless, you have an order book of 122 crores
- We have also received orders for value addition products, especially drill pipes in Maharashtra Seamless
- In terms of general visibility of orders, we expect orders to remain strong, because rig count have not declined. They remain consistent, and strategic petroleum reserve in the US continues to be at an all-time low. Therefore, crude is expected to remain strong and so will our order book
- In the domestic segment, ONGC has a demand of 1 lakh tons every year, additional demand of 1 lakh tons every year which is regular
- And even in our current order book, out of the total Seamless orders of Maharashtra Seamless of 1660 crores, 541 crores is from ONGC and Oil India. These orders will be executed over the next 4, 4.5 months, and we expect orders to get replenished and the strong position to continue both in United Seamless and Maharashtra Seamless
- Export opportunity
- Canada OCTG, the oil and gas sector has opened up again, and line pipe we were doing earlier also. So, the market in Canada and USA combined is significant volume where there is no shortfall as such
- We still have our eyes open for orders in Middle East, North Africa and South America, but this is may not be essential, because USA and Canada is sufficient
- In the recent past, the Canadian Market was a little under investigation for duties. Now it has been crystallized. So, the Canada market is once again open to us. We want to export more than what we did in the past
- CAPEX plan
- The total capital expenditure that we are targeting is 852 crores, and this will be entirely funded from internal accruals
- Two projects have been given priority - The heat treatment and finishing line at United Seamless so that we are immediately able to double production at United Seamless and Cold Drawn pipes, which we want to expand in Maharashtra Seamless
- We are also targeting setting up an OCTG line and Billet preheating surface in next financial year as demand for Seamless products is expected to remain consistent
- Capacity Utilization
- Despite taking preventive maintenance shutdowns in two seamless pipe mills in the past three quarters, we have achieved 69% in Maharashtra Seamless and 68% in Maharashtra Seamless ERW segment in three quarters
- Balance sheet
- In the third quarter of FY23, we have also undertaken prepayment of long-term debt of 315 crores, thereby bringing down our interest costs substantially
- ICDs continue to reduce gradually as was committed. Currently, they stand at 95 crores, and we expect ICDs to be fully realized by next year March
- Our cash balances have improved. We have reached a level of 640 crores as total liquid investments of Maharashtra Seamless, and our net debt is minus 469 crores after prepayment of debt of 315 crores
- Corporate guarantee and SBLCs continue to reduce as was committed, and we expect them to be fully discharged by September of 2024
- Promoter holding
- Promoters continue to increase their holding in the company
- FY 23 - regarding EBITDA, we had given a guidance of 895 crores, and out of that we have completed 75% of that in the first three quarters. So, right now, actually, we have done more than that. We have done around 85% of guidance. So, I think, we will probably end up closer to 1,000 crores than 900 crores, which will be evident in due course
If you are looking for wealth creation with growth stocks do check out our premium subscriptions. We have been helping our clients with our stock research for over a decade now.
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Maharashtra Seamless. These notes are as announced by the companies on exchanges and only for the purpose of information and education.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here - LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No