Hope you are doing well.
Last 2 years have not been very good for chemical based stocks. Their realizations have come down, margins contracted and PE ratios have also contracted. A lot of stocks are down 40-50% from their highs.
Source: May’23 IG Petrochemicals presentation
Recently, we came across IG Petrochemicals which claims to be India’s largest Phthalic Anhydride manufacturer with more than 50% domestic market share.
On a cursory glance, the numbers looked interesting and we decided to dig deeper.
Below, we have shared interesting insights from the Q4 FY 23 con-call of the company. Hope you find the details useful for your own investments or to add the stock to your watch list.
Before that, currently we have around 6 recommendations for Alpha and Alpha + Members where in we have a positive rating and the stocks are in the buy price range. Also, 1 special situation opportunity is active.
You can get the above mentioned recommendations along with others, by subscribing HERE
IG Petrochemicals – Insights from Q4 FY 23 con-call of the company
– About Business
- Our primary product is phthalic anhydride (PAN)
- Traditionally, phthalic anhydride has been used in industries such as paint, plasticizers and CPC pigments
- Today, phthalic anhydride is ingeniously used in production of plastic currency, paper boards, leisure boats, windmills, sails, aircraft wings and many more
- At our Taloja facility, we produced phthalic anhydride, maleic anhydride, benzoic acid and advanced plasticizers
- At present, we have installed capacity of 2,22,000 metric ton per annum of phthalic anhydride
- Maleic anhydride and benzoic acids are key by-product created through wash-water while producing PAN, the cost of producing these byproducts is insignificant to us and reflects positively on profitability
- Our long-term vision is to become a well-diversified chemical company while maintaining a leadership position in the phthalic anhydride industry
- Expansion of our phthalic anhydride at PA-5 unit is on track and expected to commercialize before March ’24
- This will add another additional 53,000 metric ton of phthalic anhydride and nearly 2,500 maleic anhydride, contributing to more than INR 500 crores of revenue
- We have already spent around INR 240 crores on this expansion and planning to complete between INR 350 crores to INR 355 crores this expansion
- In order to expand our business in downstream, specialized plasticizer and UPR, we are evaluating a couple of land options for the future leg of expansion
– Maleic Anhydride
- The raw material for maleic anhydride is not available in India, plus the capex to put up a maleic plant is very high. So that is the reason in India, there is no maleic anhydride capacity which have come in
- Our raw material cost is 0 to produce maleic anhydride because we are using the affluent of PA. The total production, which is there, whatever we produce comes directly into our EBITDA margin
– Phthalic Anhydride
- The phthalic anhydride plants, which are there, there is a huge constraint on the raw material, which is orthoxylene and the only player in India or in this whole region, there’s one producer, which is Reliance
- One of the customers which have expanded in the phthalic business is finding it difficult to get the source of supplier of orthoxylene. And import of orthoxylene is almost 30% to 40% more expensive than the prices what we are getting out of Reliance
- We have been buying orthoxylene from Reliance from FY’98 onwards when they started their Ox production. So they have assured us that they will continue the supply to IGPL, even with our increased capacity
- Today, most of the PA producers which are there now are in Asia region, which is China, Korea and Taiwan. It has become uneconomical in Europe and America to put up these capacities because of capex and the non-availability of orthoxylene
– Non Phthalic Anhydride contribution
- In the next 2 years we will basically diversify the company into other products other than phthalic more than 20% to 30%
- Currently, what plasticizer we are producing is going to bring in the revenue of about INR 90 crores. But we are looking to open a new site, which will add another INR 1,000 crores to INR 1,200 crores on the plasticizer business and the downstream of phthalic and maleic anhydride business
- if we are talking about downstream plasticizers, it would cost between INR 150 crores to INR 160 crores, which will add around INR 1,000 crores to INR 1,200 crores of revenue. And that will be also over the period of 12 to 18 months
- For FY ’24, it will be similar to what it has been the last year. The only thing which has changed is our DEP, which was operating at around 30%-40% will be at around 80%-90%
- The true performance will come in FY’24-’25 when we have the new phthalic unit starting operation, along with the maleic and the benzoic acid, which will add around roughly INR 500 crores to the revenue
- With the cash flow and the balance sheet strength, we are looking to diversify into value product, specialty chemicals, downstreams of phthalic anhydride and maleic anhydride, which will add value
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell IG Petrochemicals. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
Address – 7, Panch Ratan, 7/128, Swaroop Nagar, Kanpur – 208002, Contact No. – +91-7275050062
Compliance Officer – Mr. Ekansh Mittal, +91-9818866676, ekansh@
Grievance Redressal – Mittal Consulting, grievances@
“Registration granted by SEBI and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors”.
“Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related documents carefully before investing.”
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here – LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No