Hope you are doing well.
Last 2-3 quarters have been extremely bad for almost all the agrochemical companies. First there was excess inventory in the channel and therefore the demand plummeted. Second, the prices have come down sharply resulting in sales returns and inventory losses.
Source: Dhanuka Agritech website
However, Dhanuka Agritech has performed much better and has come out rather unscathed.
We believe, as a contrarian investor with 3-4 years investment horizon, it’s always good to look at spaces which are going through rough patch or facing temporary troubles because that’s where one gets good investment opportunities.
Below, we have shared interesting insights from the Q1 FY 24 con-call of Dhanuka Agritech to understand the current situation and the outlook for the industry. Hope you find the details useful for your own investments or to add the stock to your watch list.
A few days back, we released our new stock recommendation for our Alpha and Alpha + Members.
As per the management, for FY 24 they are targeting 30% + growth in sales at Rs 1,200 crore with EBITDA margins of 18-20%.
If management achieves it, the operating profit will jump ~75% in FY 24 over FY 23 (on standalone basis)
You can get this new recommendation along with other recommendations, by subscribing HERE
Dhanuka Agritech – Insights from Q1 FY 24 con-call of the company
– General Details
- Dhanuka Agritech is a leading agrochemical company in India, focusing on branded sales in the market. The company’s strength lies in manufacturing and marketing of formulated products
- The product portfolio is spread across insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, and plant growth promoters
- With three manufacturing units and 41 warehouses across India, we cater to around 6,500 distributors and dealers and around 80,000 retailers
- Dhanuka has international collaboration with 10 leading global agrochemical companies from the US, Japan, and Europe, which help us to introduce the latest technology in India
- Delay in the arrival of the monsoon led to rain deficit up to mid-June and affected the performance of all agrochemical companies, including Dhanuka
- The good news is that good rain since the last week of June have supported in catching up the demand of agrochemical over last five weeks, especially in case of herbicides
– Q1 FY 24
- Volume de-growth 3.5% YOY and price realization de-growth 2.5%
– Sales return
- Sales return increased substantially from Rs 14 crore to Rs 24 crore during the quarter
- When there’s price reduction and distributors are having higher rates inventory, they have the tendency to return the products which they have purchased at high rates
- We buy back the product at the current market rates, which are lower
- In this quarter the goods return increased because of the trend of reducing prices
- We hope that the same should be normalized in the second quarter because now the trend is either increase in the prices or the prices are stagnant
- Mostly, we are seeing price stabilization and some products are even demonstrating some price increase
– Channel Inventory
- So, inventory in the channel in the year beginning was high, and the channel was vary of taking any more inventory in Q1
- However, by end of July, the inventory levels have come down significantly
- Outlook till June was actually not very positive, at least in mid-June was not positive
- However, July gave us a turnaround and July has been really good in terms of both volume and value.
- So volume has certainly shown a turnaround in July. Value is also stabilizing
- The outlook for August is looking really bright. The groundwater is recharged, commodity prices are good. Channel inventory has eased out in the month of July. Prices have either stabilized or showing an upward trend
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Dhanuka Agritech. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
Address – 7, Panch Ratan, 7/128, Swaroop Nagar, Kanpur – 208002, Contact No. – +91-7275050062
Compliance Officer – Mr. Ekansh Mittal, +91-9818866676, ekansh@
Grievance Redressal – Mittal Consulting, grievances@
“Registration granted by SEBI and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors”.
“Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related documents carefully before investing.”
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here – LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No