Hope you are doing well.
Recently, I was going through the con-call of Apex Frozen Foods which exports processed shrimps to US, EU, China and other markets.
The demand from US, EU continues to be low as there’s still high cost inventory in such markets.
However, despite the poor quarterly results, stock price seems to have stopped reacting negatively for now.
In general, we like looking at companies which have done well in the past but currently going through a tough phase as a lot of times one can get good companies at cheaper valuations in such scenarios.
Below, we have shared interesting insights from the Q1 FY 24 con-call of Apex Frozen Foods to understand the current situation and the outlook for the company. Hope you find the details useful for your own investments or to add the stock to your watch list.
A few days back, we released our new stock recommendation for our Alpha and Alpha + Members.
It’s a sub 3,000 crore market cap, fast growing Specialty chemicals company
The company has introduced new import import substitute products, expanded aggressively over the last 4-5 years, started reducing debt and available at only ~11 times last 5 years average net profit
You can get this new recommendation along with other recommendations, by subscribing HERE
Apex Frozen – Insights from Q1 FY 24 con-call of the company
– General Details
- The net revenue came in at INR 253 crores, whereby the volumes stood at 3,447 metric tons
- In comparison to the same quarter of the previous year, there was a volume decline of 8% year-on-year and realization decline of 14% year-on-year to INR 697 per kg
- This can be attributed to a high base with regard to the Q1 of FY23, which was also a highest ever quarter, but importantly, due to the subdued demand from our key market USA
- As a result of the slowdown in USA, our exports to China increased and therefore, our overall realizations saw a decline since the margins on our Chinese exports are relatively lower considering the nature of the products that we ship to the Chinese markets
– RTE (Ready to eat) capacity
- RTE capacity expanded from 5,000 to 10,000 metric ton
- We have commercialized the production towards the end of May and almost in June, we started the commercial production
- RTE products are mainly taken by the retail markets or supermarkets, and it is less by restaurant chains or food service markets
- We are actually working with some of the retail markets very carefully to ensure that, we lock-in the RTE products for the sizes which we have available
- We just understand that the EU market also is opening up because in context to RTE for the past three years, we were disabled literally
- We have some positive news that they are going to approve our new facility too
– US demand
- The U.S. food-at-home inflation and food outside-home inflation numbers remained pretty high
- This had a dual impact, the demand fell while the retail prices remained high, causing inventory buildup at distributors and stores
- We understand that the situation is easing slowly and should be better in the next couple of quarters, towards by the end of the calendar year
- Once the inventory backlog is cleared, which is in the process, and we are cautiously optimistic that we should see a revival in the demand
- There is still some hangover of the inflationary pressure
- We have been quite reasonably successful in growing our sales to the EU market especially locking in some contracts with supermarket chains who were not there with the company in the earlier years
– Supply scenario
- Ecuador’s shrimp supply continues to add some pressure on realizations
- Ecuador is supplying and they have increased their production to beyond 1 million metric tons of raw material, which is I think they’re almost looking at 1.2 to 1.5 million metric tons this year
- However, from a competitive positioning perspective, India is still ahead, both on costs as well as value added products
- Our debt continues to decline as we judiciously use our surplus cash flows to deleverage our balance sheet
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Apex Frozen Foods. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
Address – 7, Panch Ratan, 7/128, Swaroop Nagar, Kanpur – 208002, Contact No. – +91-7275050062
Compliance Officer – Mr. Ekansh Mittal, +91-9818866676, ekansh@
Grievance Redressal – Mittal Consulting, grievances@
“Registration granted by SEBI and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors”.
“Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related documents carefully before investing.”
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here – LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No