Hope you are doing well.
Recently, I was going through the con-call of Sahyadri Industries which deals in Asbestos and non-asbestos flat sheets and boards.
While the demand for the products seems stable, the industry is reeling under the pressure of surge in raw material prices.
As a result, despite the increase in sales, almost all the companies from the sector have reported lower margins and profits.
In general, we like looking at companies which have done well in the past but currently going through a tough phase as a lot of times one can get good companies at cheaper valuations in such scenarios.
Below, we have shared interesting insights from the Q1 FY 24 con-call of Sahyadri Industries to understand the current situation and the outlook for the company. Hope you find the details useful for your own investments or to add the stock to your watch list.
A few days back, we released our new stock recommendation for our Alpha and Alpha + Members.
It’s a sub 3,000 crore market cap, fast growing Specialty chemicals company
The company has introduced new import import substitute products, expanded aggressively over the last 4-5 years, started reducing debt and available at only ~11 times last 5 years average net profit
You can get this new recommendation along with other recommendations, by subscribing HERE
Sahyadri Industries – Insights from Q1 FY 24 con-call of the company
– Industry Details
- The rural economy has witnessed a growth at a slow pace over last few quarters and the current operating environment has presented significant challenges for the businesses in this industry
- The steep hike in raw material prices such as asbestos on account of geopolitical tension between Russia and Ukraine, coupled with the surge in freight and fuel costs, resulted in a rise in the overall expenses
- The raw material prices had risen rapidly during FY23, having said that, the increased raw material prices is the new normal for the overall sector
- As regards the new capacity whosoever is bringing, I think mainly it is coming in the non-asbestos business, and there I think there is a big gap between the demand and supply and the market is going to be much bigger as we progress
- Sahyadri Industries registered a topline growth of 18.1% on Y-o-Y basis
- We have undertaken 5% to 6% of the price hike on our products to offset the hike expenditure incurred towards the raw material cost
- If you compare the 1st Quarter of the last year, compared to that the fiber cost itself has increased by 44% and in the mix, it works out 50%, that works out 22%, and against the increase of 22%, hardly 5% to 6% has been passed on and in addition to that other costs have also increased
- Now the Q2 again, there may be some reduction, but for Q3 and Q4 there is all chance that partly we may still get a price increase
- In Q1 FY24, the capacity utilization was 94% whereas it was 85% for the corresponding quarter last year
- 69,000 tons is my total capacity of all the plants. Out of that, Perundurai plant, that new line which started is 6000 tons
- We have two segments, one is the non-asbestos, second is the asbestos
- if we see the roofing, asbestos is 50,000 tons and boards is 19,000 tons. Out of that 19,000, around 6000 is the asbestos and the balance is the non-asbestos, but we can produce 19,000 non-asbestos, and we can produce 19,000 asbestos also. So, it is a mix of both, depending on the demand
– Value added products
- As I am maintaining that the value-added endeavor is 25%. Presently, we are at 17%-18%
- I think we have the internal target to reach 25% at the end of say Q4
– Raw material
- Raw material mix – Asbestos is around 50%. Balance is others
- I don’t think the price increase would be there in the raw material. Only the impact, maybe if something goes in the dollar rupee equation Northward or Southward
- Our capacity expansion in Maharashtra state for manufacturing of non-asbestos cement board plants having capacity of 72,000 metric tons have been initiated. The land has been identified and land acquisition is in process
- Also, the Company is in process of setting up a new unit of Orissa state of manufacturing asbestos corrugated sheets of 1,20,000 metric tons
- the CAPEX would be completed either in the Q4 of FY 25, that means FY24-25 or the early of FY 25-26 and once it is completed, it will start at the rate of 60%-70% capacity utilization. So, in FY25-26, we may get the benefit of around, say Rs. 40-Rs. 50 crores additional revenue
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Sahyadri Industries. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
Address – 7, Panch Ratan, 7/128, Swaroop Nagar, Kanpur – 208002, Contact No. – +91-7275050062
Compliance Officer – Mr. Ekansh Mittal, +91-9818866676, ekansh@
Grievance Redressal – Mittal Consulting, grievances@
“Registration granted by SEBI and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors”.
“Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related documents carefully before investing.”
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here – LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No