Hope you are doing well.
I have always been fascinated with stocks from building products industry. In the past, have covered several stocks from this space like Cera Sanitaryware, Carysil, Century ply, Greenply, Greenpanel, etc. and mostly they have delivered huge returns over longer periods of holding.
Recently I was again looking at Greenpanel Industries to understand the scenario in the MDF space.
Greenpanel is the largest player in India in the MDF (medium density fibre board) space with 6,60,000 CBM capacity and is expanding further by 2,31,000 CBM which is likely to commence operations in FY 25.
Below, we have shared interesting insights from the Q1 FY 24 con-call of the company. Hope you find the details useful for your own investments or to add the stock to your watch list.
Before that, just a few days back we released new Special situation opportunity for our Alpha + members
It’s a demerger based opportunity with potential for value unlocking
The company currently runs 2 businesses and intends to demerge 1 out of those and list separately. Business getting demerged has reported 200% + growth in sales and almost 600% growth in profit since FY 15
For more details on the opportunity – click HERE
Greenpanel Industries – Insights from Q1 FY 24 con-call of the company
– MDF segment
- MDF sales fell by 13% at Rs 340.17 crores and contributed 88% of the top line
- MDF export volume stood at 27,430 CBM (cubic meters). Domestic volumes were 88,368 CBM and overall MDF volumes were 1,15,798 CBM
- Domestic realizations were lower by 1.26% at 32,925 per CBM, while export realizations were lower by 25.05% at Rs 17,945 per CBM. Blended MDF realizations were lower by 6.28% at Rs 29,376 per CBM
- In Q1, the mix of industrial was 46% of the domestic volumes and value-added products was 54% of the domestic volumes
- Uttarakhand MDF operated at 69% and Andhra plant operated at 76% with blended capacity utilization at 74% on capacity of 6,60,000 cubic meters
- Sales volumes were lower during the quarter due to the maintenance shutdown of Rudrapur plant for 19 days during April
- We suffered a volume loss of approximately 6000 CBM due to the maintenance shutdown at Rudrapur MDF plant in April
- MDF’s EBITDA margins at 20.4% were impacted by maintenance shutdown of Rudrapur plant for 19 days, higher brand spends at Rs 14.9 crores which equates to 3.9% of sales, increase in wood and core veneer prices
- We are curtailing export volumes. We are letting go of orders which are not suitable to us in terms of profitability and cost, but at the same time reallocating that capacity to sort of let’s say higher realizing OEM sales in the domestic market
– MDF industry scenario
- On the demand side the market is growing as per the historical industry norms
- Of course, there is an added pressure of additional supplies that have come in and import prices have fallen, which has resulted in additional imports coming in
- We don’t foresee this to be very long-lasting and we are quite confident of achieving at this point of time the growth numbers that we had initially projected
- Imports, yes, they are sort of stable at this price and at this quantity at this point of time. We don’t foresee this increasing dramatically. I think these are already at a peak
- The pressure of pricing on account of imports is on the OEMs and the large consumer segments who are direct importers
- On the retail side at this point in time, we are not seeing any substantial pressure on account of realizations, so they have been maintained
– Raw material
- There has been a price increase in the timber prices across all segments
- As compared to Q4, the timber prices were higher by about 2% at Uttarakhand and 3% at Andhra plant
- During the current month, Rudrapur has seen a slight reduction, whereas Andhra the price change has been over 10%
- Resin – We had seen a marginal reduction in Q1 as compared to Q4 of last year. But I think during the current month we are seeing greater fall so probably as compared to Q1, we’ll have resin prices lower by 10% in this quarter
- Gross margins are more or less likely to remain at this level of 58.1% for the company as a whole and 59.6% for the MDF segment provided there’s no major change in the domestic-export ratio
- We had said 10% growth in plywood and 12% to 15% growth in MDF
- We have already given guidance of 23% to 25% (EBITDA) for the MDF division
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Greenpanel Industries. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
Address – 7, Panch Ratan, 7/128, Swaroop Nagar, Kanpur – 208002, Contact No. – +91-7275050062
Compliance Officer – Mr. Ekansh Mittal, +91-9818866676, ekansh@
Grievance Redressal – Mittal Consulting, grievances@
“Registration granted by SEBI and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors”.
“Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related documents carefully before investing.”
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here – LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – Yes, in Carysil
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No