Hope you are doing well.
If you enjoy your beer, you might be interested in reading about Som Distilleries which commands the highest market share in the Beer segment in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
The company also has presence in the states of Karnataka and Orissa.
[New Stock recommendation] - How often does one get a High growth stock, Market leader with almost 50% market share, Minimal debt at Cheap valuations?
Not often, right? We think we have found one and recommended recently to our Premium Members. For details - click HERE
Som Distilleries and Breweries - Notes from Q1 FY 23 concall
Basic details -
- We recorded best-ever quarterly volumes, Sales, EBITDA and PAT in Q1 FY 23. Since the completion of our CAPEX plan, this was the first season quarter that we were able to operate without any restrictions.
- In addition to the favorable demand scenario, the change in excise policy and increase in the sale points particularly in MP benefited our overall performance.
- In the last one year, we had been successful in enhancing our market share in all key markets and we continue to gain further to drive our volume growth. Furthermore, we also intend to increase our presence in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Delhi, which are high-growth and profitable markets.
- Q1 is supposed to be the best quarter for beer as a industry. So obviously, margin or volumes can't be sustained for the rest of the year
Q1 FY 23 performance -
- We recorded beer volumes of 47.3 lakh cases during the quarter, resulting in total sales of Rs 256 crore
- During the quarter, we recorded an EBITDA of INR 35.9 crores with a margin of 14%, which is in line with our historic growth averages. This margin was achieved despite the prevailing inflationary conditions
- During the quarter, we took price hikes across all the markets. In addition, our focus on operational efficiency supported by peak utilization of our plants was the primary driver for the margin enhancement.
- Hunter recorded a volume of 20 lakh cases, Black Fort and Power Pool recorded 7.2 and 19.4 lakh cases respectively during the quarter
- Beer realization for the quarter was INR 506 per case compared to INR 462 in FY '22, primarily driven by higher mix of Hunter in the total volumes and the price hike which we have taken across brands
- IMFL Volumes during the quarter was 1.9 lakh cases, an increase of over 160% compared to the same period last year. While the IMFL realization for the quarter was INR 791 compared to INR 775 in FY '22
- Our gross debt as on 30th June 2022 stood at INR 180.3 crore compared to INR 197.3 crore as on 31st March 2022
Geographical break-up and New markets -
- About 54% of our volume has come from MP. Close to 26% has come from Karnataka and 15% has come from Orissa. 5% would be from the remaining states like Delhi, Kerala, UP and CSG.
- We're looking at markets like UP, Delhi and Kerala and canteen stores to drive further growth over the next two to three years.
Capacity utilization -
- Our Karnataka plant operated at peak capacity level during the quarter on an annualized basis. Both Bhopal and Orissa plants operated at capacity utilization of around 70%
- Utilization was 70% for Q1. But there's still enough scope for us to produce more
Why gross margins still low -
- Gross margins continue to be under pressure because we have seen that since March there has been considerable increase in the prices of Barley, as well as glass bottles and PC boxes.
- 30% is barley increase. Glass price from about INR 13 a bottle in March, it has risen to about 14.53 in June. Sugar has risen from about 35.14 per kg too about 37.7
Market Share -
- If you look at FY 19-20, we were close to about 3.5% in Karnataka and currently we are at about 11.5%. We ended the year FY 22 at 6.9%.
- If you look at Orissa, FY 19-20, we were at 8.1%, in FY 21-22 we were at 10.9%, and Q1 FY 23 at 12.7%
- The MP market, we are the market leader. For the June quarter, we had a market share of 35%
- We do not have any CAPEX plans, but we will review the same maybe by January of next year
- Our expectation would be that we should be closer to our historical margin in the next three years or so. I think I'll be more comfortable with the range of 14%-15%
Preferential allotment to Promoters -
- The money from the preferential will be basically used for furthering the working capital requirement of the company because most of the states where we operate are currently duty-paid states. So the company has to invest in the duties, excise duty before they dispatch or out from the factory
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation on the stock. These updates are as announced by the companies on exchanges and only for the purpose of information and education.
If you are looking for investment opportunities do check out our premium subscriptions. We have been helping our clients with our stock recommendations for over a decade now.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here - LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No