Hope you are doing well.
Indian markets have many listed companies from the Steel tubes and pipes industry and the Lighting and Consumer Durable industry. However, there must be very few companies involved in such diverse industries at the same time and Surya Roshni is one of them.
Recently, we were looking at Surya Roshni as the stock is down almost 50% from its peak price of 850 in Oct’21.
While Surya is more famous for its lighting products; did you know that Steel tubes and Pipes segment accounted for 80% of its sales in FY 22 and 76% of its earnings before interest and taxes.
Overall, the numbers of the company look interesting and we therefore decided to dig deeper into the industry and have shared the details below from the Q2 FY 23 con-call transcript of the company:
Recently, we released our New Stock Recommendation for Premium Members
It's a food processing company, virtually debt free, compounded profits at 20% + consistently, maintained returned ratios like ROE and ROCE at 20% +, doubled its market share in exports in its segment in the last 6-7 years and yet available at less than 7 times Pre-tax earnings.
You too can get it along with other recommendations, by subscribing HERE
Surya Roshni - Notes from Q2 FY 23 con-call transcript
- Lighting and Consumer Durable division
- Q2 and H1 FY 23 revenue grew by 12% and 29% year-on-year respectively
- LED revenue grew by 29% and 48% year-on-year during Q2 FY 23 and H1 FY 23 respectively backed by value-added products like LED, downlighters, Battens and other luminaries
- Professional lighting too witnessed robust 37% growth and 49% growth in terms of revenue for Q2 and H1 FY 23 along with a good inflow of order
- Consumer durable too showed a significant pickup in demand towards the end of Q2 FY 23, may be due to the festival season and we expect some spillover effect in Q3 as well
- The company has undertaken multiple price hikes in order to mitigate rising input cost. We are witnessing stabilization in input cost especially on the commodity front and we believe that most of the input cost has peaked out and we should witness a downtrend in the H2 FY 23
- This downward trend along with already undertaken price hikes should help the company to improve the margins further especially in lighting and consumer durable
- 8% EBITDA margin is there at present in the consumer durable and last year also it was around 8%. So, we will maintain EBITDA margin at 10% for the whole year
- Capacity utilization - there are 3 things in lighting and consumer durable, so the first part is lighting division and in that 2 types of lighting are there; one is the conventional lighting which was of the old bulb, so its utilization is not much now, it is nearly 20% and rest we have almost converted it into LED
- As far as LED which is a growth segment is concerned, our capacity utilization in that is 65%-70%, so we have much scope. In the next 3 years we don’t need more than Rs 25 crore investment in lighting
- Steel pipe and Cold rolling division
- HR coil is a raw material for us and we sell them by converting it and making them into pipes. When the HR prices increase, there is some gain in the stock and when the price reduces, then there is little loss in stock
- Steel pipe and steel performance was affected in terms of revenue due to steep correction in global steel price. At one time it was Rs 75,000 a ton, now it has come down to Rs 55,000
- Volume is almost at same level, but EBITDA has grown by 30% year-on-year to Rs 5,259 per ton in Q2 FY 23, mainly on account of healthy revenue mix and value-added products such as API coated pipes
- EBITDA per metric ton stood at Rs 5,259 compared to Rs 4,060 year-to-year
- In coming 2 quarters we will maintain around Rs 5,500. This whole year you will see EBITDA at Rs 5,000 per ton
- Volume - Q1 volume - 170,000 tonnes, Q2 volume - 204,000 tonnes...in H2 we are expecting to do volumes between 4,50,000 tons to 5,00,000 tons
- Capacity - 13 lakh tons capacity is already installed including DFT. To rated or actual, the maximum possible utilization is around 90%
- Value added products - Number 1 is the API steel, another is the GI pipes and the third one is the large dia section pipes of DFT which we have recently installed and all coated pipes
- In steel division, we are already going on almost 80%-85% capacity utilization. Before next board meeting we are going to announce some additional CAPEX and capacity
- Over a period we realized that putting a unit in Hindupur, it was very good for South market, because earlier we used to send from Bahadurgarh or from other plant. On a similar line we are working on one in West, one in the East, and works are going on for GP line galvanized line
- Balance Sheet
- The company has reduced debt by Rs 72 crore in first half of financial year 23 and has become long-term debt free
- The working capital cycle remained largely stable on a sequential basis at 58 days in second quarter financial year 23 compared to 57 days in quarter 1 financial year 23 for the company
- Lighting division growth is expected to be around 17-18% and 10% for steel division
Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy/sell Surya Roshni. These notes are as announced by the companies on exchanges and only for the purpose of information and education.
SEBI Research Analyst Registration No. INH100001690
Research Analyst Details
Name: Ekansh Mittal Email Id: [email protected] Ph: +91 727 5050062
Details of Associate: Not Applicable
Analyst Certification: The Analyst certify (ies) that the views expressed herein accurately reflect his (their) personal view(s) about the subject security (ies) and issuer(s) and that no part of his (their) compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation(s) or views contained in this research report.
The views expressed are based solely on information available publicly and believed to be true. Investors are advised to independently evaluate the market conditions/risks involved before making any investment decision
This report is for the personal information of the authorized recipient and does not construe to be any investment, legal or taxation advice to you. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting/Katalyst Wealth is not soliciting any action based upon it. This report is not for public distribution and has been furnished to you solely for your information and should not be reproduced or redistributed to any other person in any form. This document is provided for assistance only and is not intended to be and must not alone be taken as the basis for an investment decision. Ekansh Mittal or any of its affiliates or employees shall not be in any way responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any inadvertent error in the information contained in this report. Neither Ekansh Mittal, nor its employees, agents nor representatives shall be liable for any damages whether direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential including lost revenue or lost profits that may arise from or in connection with the use of the information. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting or any of its affiliates or employees do not provide, at any time, any express or implied warranty of any kind, regarding any matter pertaining to this report, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
The recipients of this report should rely on their own investigations. Ekansh Mittal/Mittal Consulting and/or its affiliates and/or employees may have interests/ positions, financial or otherwise in the securities mentioned in this report. Mittal Consulting has incorporated adequate disclosures in this document. This should, however, not be treated as endorsement of the views expressed in the report.
We submit that no material disciplinary action has been taken on Ekansh Mittal by any regulatory authority impacting Equity Research Analysis.
Disclaimer: You can access it here - LINK
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any financial interest in the subject company/companies and the nature of such financial interest – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associates or his relatives have actual/beneficial ownership of 1% or more securities of the subject company (at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report or date of the public appearance) – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity or his associate or his relative has any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report or at the time of public appearance – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months – No
Whether it or its associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether it or its associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past 12 months – No
Whether the subject company is or was a client during twelve months preceding the date of distribution of the research report and the types of services provided – No
Whether the research analyst has served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company – No
Whether the research analyst or research entity has been engaged in market making activity for the subject company – No